Situated in The Yorkshire Dales National Park. This relatively undiscovered area of Cumbria is called The Westmorland Dales.
Crake Trees Manor farmhouse is placed right at the centre of a small estate in the process of re-wilding. Formally a Westmorland field barn, traditional in its setting and structure, the house has been beautifully converted using local green oak, glass, steel and Cumbrian slate to make a modern and stylish self-catering holiday home.
The property spans two floors, with two adjoining bedrooms leading off the courtyard:
- The Farmhouse sleeps 15 in 7 bedrooms. An additional small attic twin room is available to extend capacity to 17 people, but please note that the attic room is accessed via ladder-stairs, so it isn't suitable for everyone.
- Central to the house is the large east facing Conservatory leading into the well-equipped farm-style Kitchen with electric Aga, dishwasher, American-style fridge/freezer and a separate casual dining area. This space is ideal for everyone to gather together with a glass of wine or a beer, taking in the views while also cooking up a storm.
- Leading off the kitchen is the open-plan dining area and living room with underfloor heating and a large wood-burning stove. Bespoke wooden stairs take you to the first floor, the library and two bedrooms – a super-king and a twin.
- Leading off the kitchen in the other direction is two more further bedrooms (A double and twin with bathroom), the boot room with a door leading to the courtyard and to the Hot Tub, a shower room with loo and the optional Attic Room, ideal as a teenagers den! This space is accessed via steep stairs but it provides an additional two bed-spaces taking the total occupancy to 16 if required.
- From the Courtyard outside are two more super-king en-suite bedrooms and to the end-gable of the property, up some stairs, is an en-suite family room with a super-king bed and separate single bed.
- Underfloor heating throughout the main house and radiators are in the two external en-suite bedrooms.
- To the rear is the wood-fired hot tub, which can seat up to six people.
- 2 Dogs are welcome.
- Grazing available for up to 3 Horses at £10/horse/night payable direct
Crake Trees Farm is a traditional Westmorland Holding, made up of three smalls farms which were amalgamated in the 1960s. The Owners of the Farm, The Tuer Family, manage the farm in an environmentally sensitive way and being part of the Higher Level Stewardship Scheme, means the farm is run within strict European rules that encourage wildlife to flourish.
The farm is still a working farm, so guests will likely see a variety of animals and birdlife, including Cheviot Sheep from the Highlands and a small flock of rare Border Leicester Sheep, naturally grazing amongst the indigenous Galloway and Blue Grey cattle.
To the rear of the Converted Westmorland Barn are the ruins of Crake Trees Tower House, once a grand 14th century Manor, with evidence of pre-Christian occupation. Documentary evidence dates the from 1591. It is believed to have been built for the family of Lancaster, principally from Sockbridge Hall near Penrith in the C12th.
Situated 1-mile from the quaint villages of Maulds Meaburn, to the north and Crosby Ravensworth to the south and 3 miles from Shap, with a great late-opening Coop and outdoor swimming pool. Crake Trees Manor is a superb self-catering holiday house for large families or groups of friends to get together. The House is just 15 minutes from Jct 39 or J38 of the M6 and A66 to Scotch corner. Making it perfect for guests travelling from the South, the East or from Scotland.
The Manor House sits perched on a hillside 800ft above sea level, and the large conservatory benefits from panoramic views east to the Pennines and Howgill fells or the distant Scottish hills of the north.
This area of The Yorkshire Dales is a growing hub for Cyclists and Walkers. With direct access to many circular Footpaths and Cycle trails. The quiet roads, peaceful footpaths and many refreshment stops are perfect for all levels of ability.
If you don't fancy self-catering, The local community owned pub is The Butchers Arms, a short stroll down the lane into Crosby Ravensworth, which offers good homemade food and great local ales. For a livelier night, the market town of Penrith 20 minutes away with many restaurants and bars. Lake Ullswater, Ullswater Steamers and Rheged Discovery Centre are 30 minutes from the house. Settle to Carlisle scenic railway and Acorn Bank National Trust gardens are 15 minutes from the house.
Things To Note:
- The Farmhouse has a maximum occupancy of 17. It is a condition of the property insurance, that no extra guests are permitted.
- Infants under 2 years are not included in total occupancy.
- The Farmhouse has free WiFi on the ground floor (The thick walls hinder the signal reaching the bedrooms). The area has a good 4G signal.
- Dogs must be kept on leads at all times as livestock roam freely on the farm. No restricted breeds or guard dogs, please.
- A public right-of-way passes the house so you may encounter walkers crossing the farm.
- Guests have exclusive use of the house and front garden (see the floor plan) but not exclusive use of the courtyard and surrounding farmland.
- You may encounter, Mike and Ruth (the owners) walkers, and other guests staying at one of the nearby self-catering glamping pods located on the Farm.
- The Wood-fired Hot Tub seats six people. Three nights use is included in the price after which the tub must be drained. Additional three-nights usage can be added for an additional cost of £80.00 which includes the cleaning, refilling and additional wood.
- Baby and Toddler Friendly
- Bed Linen Provided
- Central Heating
- Dogs permitted
- Family Friendly
- Hot Tub
- Log Burner / Fireplace
- Pub within 1 Mile
- Sleeps 10+
- Walks nearby
- Check In4:00 PM
- Check Out10:00 AM
- Max Guests17
Book this listing
- Electricity, water, heating, WiFi, bed linen, towels for the bathrooms are included.
- One large basket of wood for the fire, additional can be purchased if required
- Up to two well-behaved dogs are welcome.
- Parking for up to six cars is available.
- Two travel cots and a high chair are available on request.
Deposit & Payment Details:
- A 30% deposit is required when booking in order to confirm your booking. The balance will be due no later than 60 days prior to arrival.
- Bookings made within 60 days of arrival will require full payment at the time of booking.
- A £200 Refundable damage deposit is required.