3-Bedroom barn conversion situated on a scenic farmstead, 8-miles from Keswick.
Saddleback Barn is an outstanding property situated in a superb position with spectacular views across to Blencathra, that has been thoughtfully furnished, decorated and equipped to a very high standard.
Perched on the hillside and retaining many of its old original features, the converted barn provides every modern-day comfort to make for a relaxed, enjoyable holiday. It is rare to find a three-bedroom property, all with en-suite bedrooms, in such a delightful, picturesque setting and still so close to the 'hub of the North Lakes'.
Planning a special occasion or simply fancy a treat, why not engage Choice Caterers to come in and cater for you and your guests.
Outside, you have shared use of the large, well-tended 2.5-acre gardens with garden furniture strategically placed to benefit from the superb 360-degree views.
A true oasis of peace and tranquillity.
- Double bedroom with king-size zip link bed with views to Saddleback, en-suite bathroom with shower over bath, hand basin and WC.
- Family bedroom with super-king size zip link bed and a single bed, views to Mungisdale and Caldbeck fells and en-suite shower room with hand basin and WC.
- Boiler/storeroom, ideal for drying clothes.
- Open plan lounge/kitchen/diner with original beams, flat-screen TV, DVD and music system.
- The kitchen has an electric oven and hob, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and microwave
- Double bedroom with super-king size zip and link bed and en-suite shower room with hand basin and WC
Things To Note
- Zip & Link Beds can be split into two single beds – Please request this when booking.
- Home Shopping deliveries are available through Tesco, Sainsbury's and ASDA.
- A shared laundry and drying room which houses a large selection of books, games, DVDs and a gas barbecue for alfresco dining.
- The laundry room with 2 washing machines and a tumble dryer are all coin-operated (£1 for 1 hour)
- Wi-Fi is available throughout.
- Cot and highchair available on request.
- Private parking
- The large, well-tended 2.5-acre gardens with garden furniture strategically placed to benefit from the superb 360-degree views are shared with guests staying at one of the other cottages.
Near Howe Cottages comprises of seven cottages, which can be hired individually or together for a fantastic family holiday.
- Bannerdale – Sleeps 4 (Reference 570285)
- Grisedale View – Sleeps 4 (Reference 571281)
- Howe End – Sleeps 4 (Reference 570284)
- Howe Top – Sleeps 2 (Reference 570283)
- Sharp Edge – Sleeps 2 (Reference 270286)
- Stable Barn – Sleeps 4 (Reference 570280)
About the Location
Saddleback Barn is one of seven self-catering cottages that make up Near Howe Cottages. It occupies a stunning elevated position on a tree-lined knoll, giving it glorious views out over arguably some of the most delightful countryside in the Lake District National Park. Originally built as a farmstead about 180 years ago, Near Howe remained the farmhouse to the surrounding farmland until the end of the 1960s when it was converted to a guest house.
More-recently, the farmhouse, barns and stable block have been lovingly converted into seven uniquely appointed holiday cottages and apartments, retaining much of their original charm and character. Set in four acres of carefully landscaped grounds, with many seating areas for visitors to relax in, it is a setting that defines peace and tranquillity.
Guests will benefit from being within very easy reach of the A66, midway between the lovely Cumbrian market town of Penrith and Keswick. Equally close at hand is Ullswater, topped and tailed by Pooley Bridge at the North and Glenridding to the South while in the opposite direction lies the picturesque village of Mungrisdale and further at 'Back o'Skidda' is Caldbeck, the former home of famous huntsman John Peel.
The surrounding area can provide many activities and pastimes, including golf, fishing, pony trekking, boating and walking, from the gentlest of rambles to the most strenuous of fell walks. For the not so energetic, Near Howe is the ideal base from which to tour the magnificent Cumbrian countryside and enjoy the scenic beauty of our lovely Lakeland.
- Keswick – 8 miles
- M6 Motorway Junction 40 – 11 miles
- Windermere – 28 miles
- Ullswater – 7 miles
Book this listing
- All heating, electricity, WiFi and linen is included.
- Towels are not provided but may be added to your booking at a cost of £5.00 per person per week, for one bath and one hand towel, or you may bring your own.
- Dogs are permitted by prior arrangement at a cost of £20 per dog per week or part week payable in cash on arrival.
Deposit & Payment Details
- A partial deposit is required when making your booking. The balance will be due 60 days prior to your arrival.
- Bookings made within 60 days of arrival will require full payment at the time of booking.
- Check In3:00 PM
- Check Out10:00 AM
- Max Guests7
- Baby and Toddler Friendly
- Bed Linen Provided
- Central Heating
- Dogs permitted
- Family Friendly
- Tumble Dryer
- Walks nearby
- Washing Machine