3-Bedroom, Grade II listed, 17th Century Dales Stone Cottage
Shepherds Cottage is a delightful, Grade II listed, 17th Century Dales Stone self-catering Cottage surrounded by beautiful open countryside, It is one of the earliest farmhouses in the Yorkshire Dales, built in 1633 and it has recently been renovated to include modern bathroom suites, antique pine and Laura Ashley prints, while carefully retaining original features such as original mullioned windows, natural stone-work, pitch pine floors and the exposed wooden beams. This cottage is truly a get away from it all rural retreat and is situated in a very special, peaceful and romantic setting.
Locally is Hardraw (famous for Hardraw Force, England's highest single drop waterfall) and the The Green Dragon Inn that dates back to the early 13th century and offers excellent food and great ales. Askrigg (The fictional village of Darrowby used in Herriot films) is just over a mile from the market town of Hawes in Upper Wensleydale.
- Entrance porch with with coat hooks and space for walking boots or shoes.
- Kitchen with central dining table, dishwasher, conventional cooker and a beautiful Rayburn stove, washing-machine/tumble-dryer, fridge/freezer, microwave.
- Living room with leather sofas, multi-fuel fire, 50" smart flat screen television with Freeview, Blu Ray DVD Player, CD player, radio and separate writing desk.
- WC with basin.
- Master bedroom with king-size bed, wardrobe, smart TV with built in DVD player and an en-suite bathroom with shower basin and toilet.
- Double bedroom with wardrobe.
- Twin bedroom with two single beds, wardrobe and chest of drawers.
- Family bathroom with bath tub and separate shower, basin and toilet.
Things To Note
- Central heating throughout.
- WiFi is available.
- A travel cot, high chair, nursery fireguard, stair guard and garden furniture are supplied.
- A payphone is also provided if required although there is good mobile phone coverage.
- Secure storage is available for walking gear and bicycles to the rear of the property.
About The Location
Visit the Yorkshire Dales and enjoy a holiday in glorious Wensleydale, heartland of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The unspoilt countryside is as diverse as it is dramatic from rugged fells and open moorland across limestone hills to rich green valleys with tumbling waterfalls, delightful villages and quaint farming hamlets. Traditional hay meadows, isolated field barns and characteristic dry stone walls.
Hawes is Yorkshire’s highest market town and the stock market centre of Upper Wensleydale. Its name means ‘pass between the mountains’ and it does indeed nestle between Fleet Moss at 1900 feet and Buttertubs Pass at 1726 feet.
Home to the famous Wensleydale Cheese, the town itself offers a wide variety of shops and craft workshops with plenty of good pubs and restaurants tucked away in attractive little courtyards.
Dales Countryside Museum and Tourist Information Centre, Hawes Rope makers and Hawes Auction Mart. A gentle stroll away is the quaint village of Gayle with the river running through.
Wensleydale is a walker’s dream with glorious walks to suit everyone from a gentle stroll by the river to tackling the Pennine Way. Picturesque villages are plentiful and these afford access to the neighbouring dales. The cottage is an ideal base for walking or touring and there are many ancient castles and abbeys, fine country houses and tiny village churches to visit. Call in at a Farm Open Day, come to one of the local sheepdog demonstrations or simply relax amongst the peace and solitude of the hills.
- Bed Linen Provided
- Central Heating
- Dogs permitted
- Family Friendly
- Log Burner / Fireplace
- Tumble Dryer
- Visit England Assessed
- Walks nearby
- Washing Machine
Book this listing
- Bedding and towels, WiFi, Heating, electricity and water included in the rates as well as a starter supply of kindling for the fire and firelighters.
- Weekly changeover days: Friday
- Short Breaks: November to Easter (excluding half term, Christmas and New Year) - Monday min 4-nights / Friday min 2-nights
- A travel cot and high chairs are available on request.
- One well-behaved dog is permitted.
Deposit & Payment Details
- A 30% deposit is required when placing a booking. The balance will be due no later than 60 days prior to arrival.
- Bookings made within 60 days of arrival will require full payment at the time of booking.
- A £250 damage deposit is required with you balance payment. This will be refunded with 7-days of departure subject to Owners approval.