Detached 3-bedroom bungalow with Hot Tub near Millom
About This Cottage:
The Old Pump House, with Hot Tub, is an ideal self-catering holiday home near Millom. It lies on the banks of the Black Beck and was formerly one of the main pumping stations supplying water to the ironworks. This detached, single-storey, country holiday retreat nestles in the village of The Green, a sleepy village off the Millom road, 4½ miles from the ancient market town of Broughton.
The village, like many others in South Cumbria, was not always so tranquil. It lies at the northern end of an ancient ford crossing Duddon Sands. Long before the arrival of the railway, Irish and Scottish cattle were offloaded up the coast at Whitehaven. From there herders led them south, past Black Combe and down the Whicham Valley, to gather at The Green ready for the drive across the River Duddon’s treacherous sands to market.
This now sleepy village is the ideal place to come and relax beside the river, or you can use it as the perfect springboard for exploring the Lakes.
The layout of the cottages is all on one level and comprises of:
- The living room: With French doors overlooking the river, original beams and wooden & slate floor and the large log burning stove.
- The dining room / kitchen: Again with wooden beams and slate floor, dining table for six, oil-fired Range Cooker, separate fridge and freezer, microwave and other modern appliances.
- Utility Room / WC: A loo and basin as well as the washing machine, ironing board etc.
- Bathroom: Bath with overhead shower, basin and loo.
- Master Bedroom: Large king-size bed with separate double sofa bed, TV, sliding door out onto the patio and looking onto the river.
- Bedroom 2: Double Bed (5ft) with TV, window overlooking the river.
- Bedroom 3: Bunk beds (two single beds), TV and window overlooking the river.
- The Old Pump House benefits from a large patio area with BBQ, overlooking the river and onto the farm opposite. This is especially ideal for sunny days where you can relax on the cushioned garden furniture or have perhaps dine at the six-seat outdoor dining table and listen to the running water or the birds singing.
- To the front of the property, there is parking space for up to three cars as well as storage space for bicycles. There are plenty of walks nearby too!
Things to note:
- Home shopping is available in the area.
- Oil, electricity, bed linen, towels and an initial supply of logs is included.
- A travel cot (without bedding) and high chair is available.
- WiFi is available throughout the house.
- The river, although only a gentle flow, is immediately next to the property, separated by a 4ft wall. Please ensure that children are not left unattended outside or allowed to climb on the wall.
The coastal train route to Whitehaven is picturesque and worth a day out. In Whitehaven, you can visit the harbour or continue to Carlisle City to visit Carlisle Castle and do a bit of shopping.
- Bed Linen Provided
- Central Heating
- Dogs permitted
- Family Friendly
- Hot Tub
- Log Burner / Fireplace
- Pub within 1 Mile
- Walks nearby
- Washing Machine
Book this listing
- Oil, electricity, bed linen, towels and an initial supply of logs are included in the price.
- An optional sprung Sofa Bed is available in the master bedroom, ideal for two children. This can be added when booking to increase the total occupancy to eights guests.
- Hen and Stag Parties are not permitted.
- Private horse stables and enclosed paddock are available across the lane.
Deposit and Payment Details
- A 30% deposit is required to place a booking. The balance will be due no later than 60 days prior to arrival.
- Bookings made within 60 days of arrival will require full payment at the time of booking.