High Beckside is nestled in the lovely conservation village of Hartsop in the Lake District National Park, 450 metres from Brothers Water and 2.5 miles from the shores of Ullswater where you will find a multitude of water activities including the famous 'Steamers'.
The cosy 17th-century farmhouse offers 3 spacious bedrooms in the main house and an additional en-suite bedroom in the former wool loft adjoining the main house (accessed from an external stone staircase outside the front door). The whole house is decorated with touches reflecting the local landscape and the owners' lives as Lakeland farmers, with carpets in the living/dining area, stairs and landing made from the wool of the local Herdwick sheep, which graze the surrounding fells. There are also local Herdwick wool rugs and throws throughout the house, and a number of original paintings and prints by local artists hang on the farmhouse walls.
The Ground Floor:
Comprising of the living room, dining area and fully-equipped kitchen, with Lakeland stone worktops, is open-plan and spacious, making a great space to gather in the evenings in front of the roaring open fire. Leading off from the living area, through the original oak panelled entrance hall, is a large drying room, laundry room, and downstairs WC, ideal for drying wet walking gear and boots, with plenty of room for mountain bikes – dry and secure.
Three spacious bedrooms – a double, single and twin all benefiting from beautiful views of the surrounding fells. A modern shower room with basin and toilet.
The splendid natural garden surrounds the farmhouse and offers a tranquil mix of wild and grass areas ideal for barbecues and picnics and the southerly views of Hartsop Dodd and Dovedale are superb. Parture Beck runs below the bottom of the garden, fenced off for safety. It can be accessed via a publc footpath running adjacent to the property. The garden is a magnet for the local wildlife and birds, with badgers and red squirrels being regular visitors.
Three bedrooms in the main house can accommodate five guests in total. A double, twin and a single bedroom. The adjoining en-suite Wool Loft is a twin bedroom with a separate entrance and its own bathroom with shower, basin & toilet. The layout of the property offers flexibility to hire just the main house, sleeping 5 or add the Wool Loft for an additional two guests. 20% Discount is automatically applied when booking for 5 or fewer guests, using the main house only – discount excludes half-terms, Easter, July & August, Christmas and New Year.
Things To Note
High Beckside dates from the 17th century, so it comes with uneven stairs, low door frames and exposed beams. Taller guests should take care.
While the garden is enclosed, it is not dog-escape-proof. Please keep an eye on children when playing near the river.
Two lovely villages are within walking distance of the property as well as Ullswater.
- Patterdale, 2 miles down the road, is a small village, nestling at the southern end of Lake Ullswater, and surrounded by some of Lakeland’s finest scenery. The owners live at Crookabeck Farm, and the public footpath from Hartsop to Patterdale passes through their farmyard. Pamper Treatments are also available here. The village also has a pub, The White Lion Inn, a hotel and a village store and post office.
- Crookabeck Wool Farm Shop – At Crookabeck the owners sell woollen products – rugs, socks, hats, scarves, knitting yarns etc made from the wool of their Herdwick Sheep and Angora Goats. If you would like a tour of the farm to see the animals please let them know.
- The world-famous Ullswater Steamers sail from all year round from Glenridding, 2.5 miles away, and visitors can enjoy a leisurely cruise, perhaps with a gentle stroll back along the lakeside. Glenridding is also the home of the Glenridding Sailing Centre, which provides a base for many of the water-borne activities on Ullswater. Glenridding also has several pubs, shops and cafes, as well as the Ullswater Tourist Information centre.
- Just 10 minutes from High Beckside to the north lies England’s most beautiful lake, Ullswater. As well as a trip on the Steamers, Ullswater is ideal for sailing, kayaking, canoeing, paddle-boarding and open-water swimming.
- Being in the heart of the Lake District, High Beckside is ideally located for fell walking and mountain biking. The property is located at the foot Hartsop Dodd, and close to Helvellyn, as well as a host of the other Eastern Fells, including St Sunday Crag, Fairfield, Dollywaggon Pike and Raise.
The Lake District
- Ambleside, Windermere, Grasmere, Keswick and Penrith are all a short distance away, which makes High Beckside the ideal place to base yourself to explore the whole of Lakeland.